Border Crossers Dallas-Fort Worth is excited to announce our inaugural Cohort of Anti-Racism Educators Program. This program is designed for small school-based teams of educators in the Dallas-Fort Worth area to build a collective anti-racism practice together.
CARE Program Participants will:
- Enhance their understanding of the how race and racism manifests in classrooms, schools and the lived experiences of students
- Collaboratively gain strategies and resources for creating racial equity in their classrooms and schools
- Become part of a community of educators who are building an anti-racism practice in their classrooms and schools
Any school can send a team of educators (cohort) to participate in the program. School teams should be comprised of a diverse group of 4 school employees, which could include classroom teachers, counselors, school administrators and auxiliary staff. Teams are strongly encouraged to include at least one school administrator.
Title 1 Schools, serving a majority of students of color, will receive full scholarships to participate. For all other schools, the cost of the program is $250 per school team. Schools may have more than one team apply. Priority will be given to those schools in which at least one administrator has attended Border Crossers’ Talking About Race in the Classroom training.
Once accepted into the program school teams will:
- Attend one of the following Talking About Race in the Classroom trainings from 9am-4pm:
- Thursday, March 15th
- Tuesday, April 3rd
- Friday, April 27th
- Participate in a one-hour virtual debrief session with Border Crossers staff to assess school policies, practices and culture using a racial equity lens.
- Attend one virtual community conversation with other participating schools to exchange strategies and tools for advancing racial equity in their school communities
- Attend an in-person culminating alliance building gathering (May 17th 6-8pm) with all CARE participants to further build and sustain an ongoing community of anti-racism practice.
Please use this form to apply: Border Crossers Cohort of Anti-Racism Educators Program Application
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and admittance to the program will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Early applications are strongly encouraged, as space is limited. Applicants will be notified regarding participation within 2 weeks of submitting the application.
Overview of the CARE Program
|1. Talking About Race in the Classroom Training||A full day training in which school teams will:
||All school team members must attend the training on the same day in its entirety.||School teams will choose one of the following dates to attend, from 9am-4pm:
|2. Virtual Debrief Session||Each school team will virtually participate in a one-on-one debrief session with Border Crossers staff to assess the racial equity needs of the school community||All four of the school team members must attend this one hour video conference.||Calls will be scheduled during the following weeks following each training:
|3. Virtual Community Conversations||A 90-minute virtual dialogue with other school teams to reflect on actionable ways to integrate an anti-racism practice in the classroom/school||At least half of the school team should attend one virtual community conversation.||Virtual Community Conversation Dates:
|4. Evening Closing CARE Gathering||A community networking resource and sharing gathering for all CARE program members.||All school team members are invited to attend.||Thursday, May 17th